Help Available for Tax Preparation

Tax Sites SHS flyerTax season is here.

The Internal Revenue Service is now accepting tax returns. The deadline for filing is Tuesday, April 17, and it surely will be here before you know it.

Nobody looks forward to tax season, but there are plenty of resources available to help with the task of preparing a tax return.

You might be eligible to get your taxes completed for free if you earned less than $60,000 last year. The service is provided by the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.

Or, if you are retired, you may be eligible for free tax help from the American Association for Retired Persons (AARP) or the IRS Tax Consulting for the Elderly program.

If you prefer to take care of the filing yourself, there are several options. Start with “MyFreeTaxes,” a program available across the country since 2009 using secure online H&R Block software.

This service is available to anyone who earned less than $66,000 in 2017.  There are other IRS-approved options available at FreeFile.

No matter how you go about completing your tax return, it will help to start by gathering all the required information first.

You will need your Social Security number, as well as the Social Security numbers for your spouse and dependents – and their dates of birth. You’ll also need wage and earning statements from all your employers, Form W-2 or 1099 forms.  The IRS offers checklist of all the materials you will need.

And if you run into questions, don’t worry! Here are some great resources to help:

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *