We are throwing a party to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Swope Health Services and YOU are invited!
Join us from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, July 27, at Swope Health Central, 3801 Blue Parkway. Here is the line-up of activities, all free and open to everyone:
- 10 a.m.: Rev. Wallace S. Hartzfeld Sr., retired pastor of Metropolitan Missionary Baptist Church, will deliver opening remarks and an invocation to launch the celebration. The Anointed Praise Ministry from the Swope Parkway United Christian Church will join him.
- Throughout the day, we’ll have a DJ on stage at the KC Parks Show Wagon playing lively music and serving as emcee introducing programs, sponsors and vendors.
- Noon: Join the KC Marching Falcons as this vibrant drill team leads us in a rousing rendition of the “Happy Birthday” song. De Barker will direct us in the Kansas City Two-Step and provide insights on soul line and two-step dancing. De, a two-step instructor and cultural historian, promotes line and two-step dancing through De Barker Event Planning Services and “I Like Kansas City 2Step” events.
- 1 p.m.: See a Fashion Show, featuring Swope Health associates, portraying popular fashions from the 1970s to present day.
- The Carnival runs all day:
- Acts and activities include a juggler, unicyclist, face painting, a balloon artist, a caricaturist, a photo booth and selfie station.
- Tour the Kansas City Fire Department’s pumper truck and meet the officers from the Kansas City Police Department’s Mounted Patrol Section.
- Check out the Kansas City Zoo’s Mobile Petting Zoo.
- Visit the craft stations set up by Home Depot and find snacks and drinks a food trucks.
- Take a break for some self-care at the Resiliency Room, inside the Swope Health C Building, where you will find chair massages, aromatherapy herbs and oils, and activities like journaling. Pick up a mindfulness card or a painted rock.
Parking is available at the Mazuma Credit Union, 4001 Blue Parkway, and Bruce R. Watkins Cultural Center, 3700 Blue Parkway.
We hope you’ll join us for the party! It’s our chance to say Thank You and get ready for our next 50 years!