It’s time to give thanks to the Medical Assistants among us!
The American Association of Medical Assistants sponsors Medical Assistants Recognition Day on Wednesday, Oct. 19. The whole week is set aside to show appreciation to Medical Assistants.
Medical Assistants are health professionals who support the work of physicians and other health professionals. Medical Assistants are cross-trained to perform medical and administrative tasks. Some of the things Medical Assistants do to make clinics run smoothly:
- Meet patients in the clinic exam rooms, taking medical history and vital signs
- Prepare patients for an exam or lab tests
- Serve as an advocate for the patient, sharing information between the provider and the patient
- Provide patient education about health matters, including lab results, taking medications and other health information
- Coordinate with clinic back offices, including ensuring HIPAA compliance, managing insurance processes, working with the medical records
- In general, take steps to support the needs of patients and physicians.
“Practicing medicine takes a whole team,” said Lee Champion, SHS Director of Nursing. “We couldn’t deliver high quality care across our clinics without the service and dedication of our Medical Assistants.”
Swope Health Services is honored to recognize these hard-working and patient-focused professionals in our clinics. Please join us in honoring them by leaving a comment. We’ll make sure they get to read them.